Personal Learning Plans (PLPs)
Harwood’s efforts at personalizing student learning have Personalized Learning Plans (PLPs) as the centerpiece. A PLP is created in collaboration between a student, faculty advisor and parents or guardians beginning in grade 7. PLPs are a component of VT Act 77; the Flexible Pathways law. This law creates a path for all Vermont schools to develop opportunities that are more student centered while meeting core graduation requirements. The process for this plan has five core elements:
- Development of the student personal and learning profile
- This includes considering strengths and challenges, personality, interests, core principles, as well as academic and personal achievements
- The development of goals and a plan to achieve them
- Goals that are both academic and personal will be shared in a student led conference in the Fall.
- Maintaining a record of student achievement toward the goal
- Students maintain samples of work that demonstrate progress toward achieving their goals
- Opportunities for regular reflection in their teacher advisory
- Regular revision, at least annually with the support of their advisor and parent/guardian in a student led conference in the Spring
The goal of PLPs is to support students to develop their passions, pursue them and incorporate them into their progress toward a successful Harwood Graduation. No two students have the same profile; students are encouraged to explore any and all options to meet their graduation requirements.
PLPs provide a voice for students to design a personalized educational plan. Harwood has worked to provide options to fit the many interests and needs of our students. These pathways include, but are not limited to:
- Dual Enrollment
- Early College
- Vermont Virtual Learning Cooperative
- Traditional Coursework
- Independent Study
- HUB Program
- Technical Center Programs
- All students beginning with the class of 2019 are required to have a PLP.
- Students in the class of 2017 & 2018 who want to access a Flexible Pathway must have an up to date Personal Learning Plan.