HARWOOD GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CLASSES OF 2017, 2018, 2019
Graduates of Harwood Union High School are required to earn a minimum of 24 credits, including:
- English 4 credits (one each of 9th, 10th and 11th grade courses)
- Social Studies 3 credits (one of three must be U.S. History)
- Science 3 years
- Math 3 credits
- Physical Education 1.5 credits (.5 credit must be taken from Harwood PE curriculum)
- Unified Arts 1 credit (visual arts, performing arts, STEM Education, or family and consumer science)
- Personal Wellness .5 credit
College Admissions Requirements
Some colleges are more selective than others; many schools have specific entrance criteria and require a minimum of the following courses to determine eligibility for admission:
- English 4 years
- Math 3-4 years
- Science 3-4 years
- Social Studies 3-4 years
- World Languages 2-3 years of same language
Even within a given college, these requirements may vary based upon the anticipated major.
In general, students are evaluated for college admissions primarily on high school achievement, rigor of course selection, and standardized examinations. The following are also considered: patterns of performance, enrichment experiences, letters of recommendation, personal essay, portfolio, individual talents, community service, and extenuating circumstances that may affect grades.
Additional Information on Requirements
Harwood students are required to be registered for six credits during the year. Not included are credit for sports participation.
Senior Course Selection
Seniors have priority in course selection because many need to fulfill graduation requirements and their senior year is their last opportunity to take courses at Harwood.
If a student transfers to Harwood Union from a different school, s/he must work with his/her school counselor regarding appropriate course sequences and prerequisites.